12 Perfect Gift Ideas For
The News Junkie In Your Life
12 Perfect Gift Ideas For The Newsie
In Your Life
Okay, the holidays are coming up…
News folks, if you need to give your family and friends a subtle—or not so subtle—hint about some gift ideas, just sent them this list.
For the shoppers, or receivers of this list, these gift suggestions are both useful and fun for those who work in local news. Trust us, your newsie will be happy to receive any item from this list!
1. Take a look at RateMyStation’s Shop.
First, we have to start this list with our own online shop of course! You can find local-news-themed face masks, laptop sleeves, sweatshirts, tank tops, t-shirts, beanies, backpacks, and even baby onesies in our store.
We’ve gotten nothing but rave reviews about our products. But you’ll want to hurry, and order now, to beat the crowd and make sure your purchases get shipped to you ASAP.
2. Another journalist-run online store, we have to mention on this list, is the newly launched Fourth Estate Apparel. Their website says they are, “A clothing line dedicated to celebrating journalists, in AP Style.”
3. That News Life is also a store devoted to journalists. They just debuted some coffee mugs that every newsie can relate to.
4. The AHA Wrap is a customizable wrap that goes around a person’s leg. It was originally created for female newsies to use while wearing a dress, because this wrap can hold a microphone pack, IFB pack or both! The days of trying to find a good place to clip a microphone pack will be over with this little accessory!
5. Books are also a great gift idea for when your newsie has some free time on their hands.
Books are not only inexpensive, they can also make great stocking stuffers. Here are 7 great book suggestions that are either related to news or written by the journalists themselves.
6. Now, let’s be real. Money. Giving some good old cash, or gift cards to places like Amazon, Best Buy, Target or Walmart would make the perfect gift for any underpaid journalist.
7. With many news folks working from home (and just creating their own content out of quarantine boredom) camera equipment, batteries, ring lights, and other items like these are always needed and can make a very welcomed gift!
8. A gift card to their favorite clothing store will always make a great holiday present, because most newsie’s are always shopping for new clothes to wear on-air.
9. Another much needed, and much appreciated, gift would be a massage; especially after election and pandemic coverage all year long. You can also consider this as an opportunity to help support a local salon or massage therapist.
10. Buy them gifts to fill their On-The-Go Bags.
Have no clue what I’m talking about? Click here to learn what a go-bag is, and how to build one for less than $20! You’ll find tons of helpful tips in that article. Think of it like…well a stocking stuffer!
11. How about a subscription to their favorite magazine or newspaper? Journalists love to…well, read the news, and see what our fellow newsies are up to! Giving them a subscription is a perfect way to help both the journalist you know and the publication they love!
We hope these suggestions are helpful when it comes to picking the perfect gift for the news-obsessed loved one in your life.
12. Another simple way to show you care is just by being supportive. Your support can come via a phone call, a “keep up the great work” text, a follow on their social media pages, or a few bucks for a cup of coffee. These simple actions can go a long way! No matter who you are, or what you do, feeling appreciated is often the best gift of all.
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas! 🎁